Maintaining a safe work environment is of the utmost importance to any business. It protects workers by reducing accidents, increases productivity through increased production, and maximizes the return on investment for your business.
So, when it comes to the transportation and handling of materials, a keen focus on maintenance, safety, and repair should always be a top concern. That’s why Arnold Company is dedicated to enhancing worker safety through our innovative products and services.
We offer a wide range of products that help maintain equipment and protect workers, including hopper gate openers and railcar unloading equipment. With us on your side, you can rest assured knowing your employees are safe while they work.
Stay Ahead of These Top Railcar Safety Hazards
Many potential hazards are associated with railcar unloading, but some of the most common and serious include worker safety and unloading risks.
Worker safety risks can occur when workers perform tasks such as coupling or decoupling cars or working on or near the tracks. Unloading risks can occur when operators face damaged hopper gates or jams resulting from packed railcars. In addition, improper unloading procedures can also result in worker injuries.
6 Tips to Mitigate Railcar Safety Risks
Worker safety is paramount in any industry, but railcars have some unique risks that require focused solutions. Here are a few tips on how you can mitigate them.
- Ensure that hopper gate openers are in good working condition and properly maintained.
- Inspect all railcar equipment comprehensively and regularly.
- Never cross under a railcar – find a car with a safe crossover platform.
- Be aware of your surroundings when working near or around railcars.
- Wear proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) when working with or around railcars.
- Never assume a railcar is empty – always check before entering or performing any work.
Importance of Safe Railcar Operations Procedures
One of the main reasons for incurring demurrage charges is due to poor or unsafe railcar opening practices. If railcars are not opened correctly, it can cause delays during unloading and loading, eventually leading to costly demurrage fees. However, by using railcar openers – which guarantee both safety and efficiency – shippers can reduce the likelihood of accruing demurrage fees.
Since different opener models are designed for various railcar types, shippers must use the right model for their needs to prevent any delays (and consequent fees).
In short, if you are shipping via rail, employ the proper railcar opening procedures to avoid demurrage charges. The right railcar opener will ensure your safety and save you time and money in the long run.
Arnold Company’s Focus On Worker Safety
Across agriculture, commercial or industrial industries, Arnold Company is committed to providing the best railcar products. Each product is designed to maximize worker safety and efficiency while maintaining company productivity.
- Tank car safety products provide the essential tools and equipment to load and unload tank cars.
- Hopper car safety products are designed for opening and closing gates and hatches on hopper trailers.
- Boxcar safety products make forklift access in and out of boxcars safer and more accessible.
With worker safety as the top priority, we offer a variety of products across a variety of industries that meet industry standards as well as your specific needs, including loading and unloading devices, inspection and servicing tools, and plant maintenance products. Plus, each product adheres to stringent quality control guidelines and meets OSHA Regulations and Standards.