At Arnold Company, safety features are a significant aspect of our design process. This is why we pride ourselves on providing safe, dependable, and efficient rail car openers and solutions that meet or exceed OSHA standards and regulations.
|Safe, Single-person Operation||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||-|
|Helps Prevent Employee Injuries||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||-|
|Lock Out/Tag Out Capability (OSHA Standard)||-||✔||✔||-||✔||✔||-||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Powder-coated "Safety Yellow" for Increased Visibility||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||✔||✔||✔||-|
|Removes Workers from Under Railcars During Unit Operation||-||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||-||-||-||✔||-|
|Explosion Proof Electric Motor for Dust and Dirt Environments||-||-||✔||-||✔||✔||-||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Electric Motors are rated/approved for use in Class 1, Groups C & D, Division 1 as well as Class 2, Groups F & G, Division 2 facilities||-||-||✔||-||✔||✔||-||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Drive Controls Return to Neutral/Stop Upon Release||-||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||-||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||-|
|Safety Enclosed Kill Switch for Quick-and-Easy Shut Off||-||✔||✔||-||✔||✔||-||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Stabilizer Bar for Torque Suppression||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Stable Platform Allows for Predictable Performance||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||-|
|Synthetic Rope Offers Protection from Backlash||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||✔||✔||-||-|
|Locking Wheel Brake Keeps Unit from Moving While in Use or When Parked||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||✔||-||-||✔||-|
|Battery Power Disconnect||-||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||-|
|Keeps Operator Away from the Stored Energy of the Boxcar Door When Opening||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||✔||✔||✔||-||-||-|
|Even-balanced Weight Distribution for Safe and Easy Maneuvering||-||✔||✔||✔||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||✔||-||-||✔||-|
|Operator Controls Unit from the Safety of Fork-equipped Device||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||✔||-||✔||-||-||-||-||-|
|Operator Controls Unit from the Safety of Skid Steer||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||✔||-||-||-||-||-||-|
Loading & Unloading Box Cars
1910.178(m)(6) as amended by OSHA Program Directive #100-63 (10/78) …
When a powered industrial truck is used to open freight car doors, and the truck is using an attached device specifically designed to open car doors, the violation of that part of 29 CFR 1910.178(m)(6) shall be considered “de minimus,” when the following requirements have been met:
a. The design of the door opening device shall require the force applied by the device to the door to be in a direction parallel with the door travel.
b. The operator is trained in the use of the door opening device and keeps the operation in full view.
c. Employees, other than the operator, stand clear while the door is being moved.
Freight Cars in General
(2) Wheel stops or other recognized positive protection shall be provided to prevent railroad cars from moving during loading or unloading operations.
(4) Positive protection shall be provided to prevent railroad cars from being moved while dockboards or bridge plates are in position.
(6) A safe distance shall be maintained from the edge of ramps or platforms while on any elevated dock, or platform or freight car. Trucks shall not be used for opening or closing freight doors.
(7) Brakes shall be set and wheel blocks shall be in place to prevent movement of trucks, trailers, or railroad cars while loading or unloading. Fixed jacks may be necessary to support a semitrailer during loading or unloading when the trailer is not coupled to a tractor. The flooring of trucks, trailers, and railroad cars shall be checked for breaks and weakness before they are driven onto.
(5) Positive protection shall be provided to prevent railroad cars from being moved while dockboards or bridge plates are in position.
1910.176(f) Rolling railroad cars. Derail and/or bumper blocks shall be provided on spur railroad tracks where a rolling car could contact other cars being worked, enter a building, work or traffic area.